Need a Babel Fish, stat!

Or at least one of you Nipponophiles.

New commenter HopeT sends this link and asks me to explain what it means about exposed fuel.  I’m stymied.  Unstymy me?  It doesn’t have to be with this.

11 Responses to Need a Babel Fish, stat!

1. HopeT says:

On the page at the link, there’s a pull down tab for ‘language’ that you can use to translate it into English. It takes a few seconds but the translation seems good.

I couldn’t figure it out with the English.

• HopeT says:

I assumed it was just me. From what I could tell, they are listing meters of fuel exposed. I kept thinking this had to be in the ponds. Others have told me – hey it says reactor, it means reactor. I wondered if this squared with what you knew of reactor conditions from releases because – well I just thought that ponds had bigger water level issues. I assumed fuel rods were covered in the reactor but keeping them covered was a battle because of leaks. I’ve heard coworkers say this condition – reactor fuel uncovered and coolant still leaking – means a longer time table than TEPCO projects. And I wondered how all of us non-rad tech types were straying with this info so I knew I needed to consult a Wormme. 🙂

In some ways, uncovered fuel pool rods would be worse. They don’t have the same decay heat, and might not meltdown. But they also don’t have a massive containment building around them.

It probably will take them longer than projected. But if they don’t have an agressive schedule then what are people going to say then?

• crosspatch says:

Well, this is really my argument for the ceramic cladding. It wouldn’t be an issue. No reaction with steam that creates hydrogen, no cracking, crazing, melting of the cladding at a lower melting temperature than the fuel, etc.

And the stuff is tough.

2. crosspatch says:

Looks like the graphing over time of the parameters in this periodic report from NISA:

Click to access en20110421-1-2.pdf

I know I should be helping, but even though I’m in Japan, I come here to have Japan explained to me.

My Japanese sucks, sorry. I blame all the women I know over there. If it was an article about kimono, I could, probably, translate about half of it. Yep, I’m 6’8 and I read books about kimono. I also carry and use a fan in summer. Very useful, really. Though I think most people I run into here in Austria think I’m gay. Oh well, not my problem, really.

Anyway.

They’re using google translate, yeah… Notice how it transcribes Fukushima as Hukushima. That’s a completely outdated way. You can find such transcriptions in old works and similar. Then you suddenly read about the Mt Huzi and wonder “WTF?” Those transcriptions aren’t really common and lack any widespread recognition, both inside and outside of Japan. I think the Huzi transcription, with the rest, was installed in the 1930s as some pitiful counter to the standard Hepburn system. Don’t remember the name of the transcription system, I only know it never really flew, not even in Japan.

The “Huzi” derives from the hiragana H row having ha, hi, fu, he, ho, (our linguist here at university – almost-Dr. Seidl, he’s working on his dissertation and his speciality is Japanese dialects- said that the fu used to be a hu at one point, a long time ago and the slurring of words over, literally, many centuries eventually turned the hu into a fu) and the S row having sa, shi, su, se, so. The shi turns into ji with the ten-ten next to it, which are two short strokes on the right side of the hiragana/katakana letter. The other is the so called maru, which is exactly that, a small circle. The ten-ten (there are other names for it, which I can’t remember ad hoc) is used for the T, S, K and H row. While the maru appears for the H row. What they do i: the ten-ten softens it. A “ta” with ten-ten turns into “da”. A “fu” with ten-ten turns into “bu”. A “fu” with maru turns into “pu”.

Enough ranting.

But tou can’t say “WTF!” You have to say “WTH!”

I’ve been working on my pitiful Japanese at this site:

First you read a short Japanese passage with no training wheels (I get about 50-60% of it), then you read the same passage with hiragana after the kanji (I get about 80-90% of that), then read the English translation, then scroll back up and review the first two. At least, I get a lot of new vocabulary (and recognize a lot of words that I hear all the time).

That’s a neat site.

Ever had to deal with the Shin Bunka Shoukyuu Nihongo books? We use them essentially the same way. We have two different lectures. Theory and praxis. In theory we essentially translate the books, learn the grammar behind it, get smacked with a buttload of kanji (passive only) and in praxis we use it all with listening tests, written exams, homeworks, speaking exams, etc. The official goal is 2,000 passive kanji (it’s a bit over 2,000 official ones by now) and 1,000 active kanji after 4 semesters, though one can’t escape the 2,000+ kanji as active anyway. That’s not counting any seminars and other courses. Sometimes I think I’m nuts for doing this at my age!

I found the most limiting thing so far is simply the lacking vocabulary. The speaking test was a horror. We could only talk about what time it is, how I get to work/university, how my apartment looks like inside and my family. Any specific details about work, or anything else… no vocabulary for that yet!