For the sake of all, this political Emergence must be stopped.

There are so, so many good complaints about the power-addicted Ruling Class.  This sometimes makes prioritization the greatest difficulty in fighting them.  In his comment here Jay reminds us,

…the Obama admin told us that all the bailouts, jobs programs, toxic asset buyouts, and auto company takeovers were emergency one time expenses. They told us we have to spend a ton of money in 2009 and 2010 in order to save the economy. Then they told us it was the summer of recovery in 2010 and they had fixed the problem.

But the 2011 budget is 16% BIGGER than the 2010.

Welcome to the permanent emergency?

Holy crap, Jay is spot-on!  Why aren’t the “Tea Party” Republicans absolutely hammering the Senate and Administration  over this?  Why aren’t we?  I COMMAND ALL WORMITES!  SPREAD “THE WORD OF JAY” THROUGHOUT THE LAND!

This is tremendously embarrassing.  I’ve let you down.  Thank you, Jay, for getting my head back in the game.  How how how did I let the word “Stimulus” just glide by?  They’ve been Stimulating our brains out for so long and so hard…we quit noticing!  Say, you know another term that works for “ubiquitous stimulation”?

Shaking to pieces.

Power addicts will say or do anything to gain control of others.  And like all addicts they constantly need more.  They will say or do whatever it takes to get more and bigger fixes.  Remember:

Never let a crisis go to waste.

That’s an unguarded thought from a power-addict.   He schemes night and day to bring you under his control.  He dreams of being your lord and master.  And when he and his fellows succeed?  When they’re the American Politburo to your little Ivan?  They’re addicts, remember.  They still get jaded on the “same ol’ same ol'”.

And that’s when they start getting creative.

So what’s with the opening book cover?  Vernor Vinge’s “A Deepness in the Sky” is a great, great, great, great novel.   It is Olympian; there’s a handful of peers but no superiors.  If you can’t stand speculative fiction you won’t like it.  Otherwise, it will blow your mind.

(VERY MINOR SPOILER ALERT)

The villain is the utterly wicked “Emergent” government.  It’s what you get when human beings are permitted absolute power over others, for the sake of an Emergency.  Those rulers made sure not to let their crisis “go to waste”.

Am I accusing our Ruling Class of physical and mental rape and torture of helpless human possessions for a scrap of fleeting pleasure?  Of course not.

Not yet.  But will they go there after getting totally bored with just owning you?  They or their descendents, yes.

(END SPOILER)

A lot of addicts can be destroyed by their Nemesis without harming others.  Power addicts are not that type.  They cannot, by definition, mind their own business.  Nor can they even be honest to themselves.  The rare ones who can are essentially monsters.

Power addicts are why government is a necessary evil.  Because they turn it to evil.  They grind you down with it, turn you into chattel with it.  And all while demanding that you call it good.

Never.

They lie.  Government is never good.  It cannot be good.  But of course power addicts must claim that.  Most of them must even believe it.  It’s how they justify their lust for dominion.  All things must bow to their will because it is self-evidently right and good.

Except…government is not good.  It is never good.   Would-be tyrants react to this like knees tapped by rubber hammers.  “Anti-government terrorist!  UniBomber!  McVeigh!”

Ridiculous.  I’m not anti-government.  I just see it for exactly what it is:  a necessary evil.  We should try spreading that meme.

At its best, government is a necessary evil.

Can I illustrate that point?  Of course.  Surgery.  Life-saving surgery is a necessary evil.  Cutting human flesh, sawing human bone?  Never good.

Care to argue otherwise?  Go on record as pro-“destruction of human tissue”?  Surgery is either a necessary evil or an evil.  Those are the choices, folks.

Government is exactly the same.

It is a necessary evil, or it is evil.  It does to human liberty what a scapel does to human flesh.  You should react to “government is good” the way you would “cutting flesh is good”.  At its very “best” government is an incovenience to good citizens.

At best.

At its worst?  Read A Deepness in the Sky

Like most writers, I occasionally dabble in “Laws”.  For example, the Law of Fractal Debate:

There are two sides to every side.

And here’s a serious one.  Wormme’s Law:

Anyone not constantly and consciously fighting for freedom is losing it.

There is one exception that proves the rule.  When someone else is doing your fighting for you.  Leave it to the Founding Fathers?  Not me.  And I hope and pray, not you.

Let this idea be your Stimulus:  everything government is and does is either a necessary evil…or it is evil.

18 Responses to For the sake of all, this political Emergence must be stopped.

1. Jeff Archer says:

Saw this comment, and thought it very astute:

I don’t need another tax cut,” he said.

. . . his self-regarding snub of tax relief is a special variation of the argumentum ad ignorantiam or appeal to ignorance. Since he does not know why a tax cut would do any good (for him), he can’t see how it would do any good for anyone. The argument may be false, but at least it makes the president looks smug.

2. Jeff Archer says:

Your Imperial Federal Government – – reminds me of those JG Wentworth commercials: “It’s [their] money and [they] need it now!”

3. bartel says:

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Real men manufacture crises :-\

wordpress held this comment up for approval, but not the others. There is something deeply disturbing about about trying to figure out its criteria.

4. angiest says:

Based on this article, I just bought a copy of A Deepness in the Sky for my Kindle.

A Deepness in the Sky was written after the equally awesome A Fire Upon the Deep, but precedes it a great deal in that shared universe’s timeline. For that reason, if you read it first it will be a spoiler for one of the bits of A Fire Upon the Deep. Won’t ruin it, but you’ll know the answer to a question troubling one of the characters.

Vernor Vinge is a tremendous writer. His quality never dips below “very very good”. His quantity, sadly, is not in that league.

• angiest says:

Ahh, so in which order is it best to read them? (I saw that this is a prequel, but didn’t know if there was a reason to read them in published order as opposed to chronological order.)

I only have a passing familiarity with Vinge, centered around his thoughts on the technological singularity.

I guess I’d recommend the order they came out, since I know from experience that rocks. But you’ve already bought the prequel. If you get into “Hi-Def” space opera, wonderful characters, and amazingly penetrating analyses of humanity’s peaks and valleys, you will enjoy both of them. Regardless of which goes first. I’ve reread them both several times.

5. Engineer Bob says:

On never letting an emergency go to waste:

The graph in Two Budgets shows the story. There is the “emergency” surge in spending as a % of GDP, followed by the attempt to permanently set spending to that level. And much beyond that level, if you look graphs farther out.

Vinge! I loved Deepness in the Sky–among the best SF novels ever! (Though CJ Cherryh is up there in my book, and also more prolific.) I have been eager to get into more Vinge but have not had the chance yet, though recently I borrowed and read Marooned in Real Time. Seriously good but not as good as DITS.

Anyway, gov. as consuming parasite. It’s a struggle that will go on a long time and on multiple fronts. From my distant perspective, one advantage I see with the U.S. is that states, and even municipalities, can set different terms of existence, and they can become thriving places that are living testaments that argue via demonstration. They can act as oases (oasises?) or enclaves. Free and thriving areas will then stand as stark alternatives to unfree and dysfunctional areas, like Texas (people actually want to move there) stands now in contrast to California (people want to escape).

I was encouraged by smaller experiments, too, like in this Reason TV video (linked at Hot Air):

And notice at the end how four or five other cities are inquiring about that model so that they can repeat the success. So the thing is to act and innovate at whatever level is workable, and have the relative success be so obvious that others want the same thing. (Sorry if it sounds like the old leftist slogan “Think globally, act locally.”)

I love the American “can do” spirit, and my absence really has made my heart grow fonder! But these kinds of local solutions and innovations are encouraging signs for me that the American spirit is not dead yet.

The states’ freedom to operate constantly dwindles as the Fed increasingly meddles in everything. It’s grimly ironic how these statists portray themselves as technocrats and allies of science, because they make experimentation impossible.

Oh, hope you see this belated comment!

I met Ms. Cherryh at a Nashville Sci Fi convention, about twenty-five years ago. She was playing the guitar, filking at a room party.

She has an astounding “Earth Mother” presence about her. If you know someone who, as the saying goes, “radiates calm”…I’ll put C.J. up against your champ, no questions asked.

So cool! I guess I’d like to meet her . . . but I’d just say something dumb, so what would be the point? I think my favorite is 50,000 at Gehenna (correct title?) but they’re pretty much all top notch for me.

I love science fiction but would not call myself a totally committed fan in the way true fans are. Mainly I have read my SF by raiding the bookshelves of bona fide SF fans.

I’m tempted to put Ian Banks up there with Vinge and Cherryh, but I wonder finally if there isn’t something a tad anti-septic about Banks’ technical mastery? There’s always that human element that you have to get right, in the end. But these are snap and not considered judgments . . .

I just ran across Banks a few years ago, and love his work. His prose can be a bit distancing, but he can also make fascination characters.

I email his publisher once with a Culture Ship’s name suggested: Let’s You and Him Fight

7. Pingback: The Forrest Gump Preamble. | World's Only Rational Man